Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tonight I dined on beet green risotto with bacon


Tonight I dined on beet green risotto with bacon, not a traditional risotto that I am aware, but an honorable way to use the last of spring’s produce as the lettuce bolts from the rising temperatures. A day that begins with news of a women shouting that the metro train of morning commuters is going to blow-up, the transit system I take to and from work; a day filled with answering the same questions on how to fill out government forms, and disgruntled emails and phone calls; a day with the news that private funds which could have saved the program that employs me, saves our shared history and unique character of American towns, creates jobs and local pride was turned down..or at least that’s the rumor.  A day in which, I mistakenly picked up a paper for the ride home with incoherent articles slamming environmental protection for killing jobs.  And while I was greeted by the greatest cat in the world I was also greeted with continued atrocities in Sudan, cholera outbreaks, mudslides, wildfires, our own local political corruption on the evening news. 

This day needs crispy bacon, and rice cooked so slowly that it submits to the creaminess that is its destiny, coaxed out with a touch of vermouth and butter, enriched with freshly grated cheese and home grown beets, sprinkled with just a touch of basil plucked in the twilight just for the sole purpose of ending this day.
It may not solve the world’s problems but it does make facing tomorrow easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment