Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Perfect Day

cafe au lait
tuna melt tartine











With the first hints of spring, I pulled out my bike and spent this Saturday having a perfect day. I treated myself to brunch out.  One of my attempts at being frugal means brining my cup of coffee with me to work every day so lingering over a café au lait is a special treat.  Next I toodled around Eastern Market equally enjoying browsing the fresh produce, art, and people watching. This is when the perfect day really starts to kick in. As I select ingredients ideas for dinner start to swirl n my head. Inside I buy some andouille sausage. Oranges are bought to make freshly squeezed juice to linger with over the Sunday paper. 
I shop in style thanks to my Aunt B!

Thanks to my parents I can now carry a
 lot more than a pork butt on my bike!










    

 Every Saturday Chat’s has a free wine tasting.  This was why I first started shopping there but I continue to go back because Bernie the owner always has time for a chat, answers my questions with enthusiasms and interest even though my price point stays in the $8-$15 range. He has intimate knowledge of every bottle in his store and the most radiant smile that draws you in making you feel a part of the community.   I picked up a Portuguese red blend because the Cork Boat is one of my favorite books and I have had Portuguese white wine but hadn’t yet tried a red.


In my mind I was imagining a twist on a Spanish tortilla. I love the simplicity of eggs and potatoes but this is not a recipe I have mastered so every once in a while I give it another go.  I sautéed the potatoes in a little olive oil with some sliver of garlic tossed in. When the potatoes were almost cooked through with a lovely browning, I added some asparagus and a spring onion, and pat of butter just to give it extra richness. I set this mixture aside and cooked some of the andouille. I tossed the potato mixture with a couple of beaten eggs. All of this was added back into the pan with the sausage and cooked over very low heat.  The result was nothing like a Spanish tortilla. Too much stuff and not enough egg, but it still tasted really good.  I grated a little pecorino on top and just because they had been so beautiful at the market I sautéed a few shitake mushrooms in butter.


At first I thought the wine might be too dry to go with the dish. But as it opened up and the butteriness of the potatoes, saltiness of the cheese, and spiciness of the sausage melded together the flavors all came together in harmony. The asparagus added just the right crunch and freshness.  Not to mentioned I spotted the first daffodils of the season today.

Sometimes a day on your own is just the thing, but it’s also nice to think ahead, the days will grow warmer and longer and my perfect day will be repeated with the increased bounty at the market and shared in the backyard with friends, Saturday Night jazz playing through the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment