Thursday, March 31, 2011

Crepes

My intention for this blog was never a "how to" or a compilation of recipes. However, a family visit and an old pear led to the creation of this crepe video. This one is for you Aunt Joan. Plus I got to try out the video feature on my new camera, which by the way isn't easy to use and cook at the same time by yourself.

Standard crepe batter recipes can be found in a variety of places so I won't repeat one here. Most tell you to let the batter sit before cooking. it keeps in the fridge for several days. If it separates just stir it back together.


At a recent family visit we were discussing how to make crepes. The way I was taught is that you want a lightly greased pan, i.e. I only butter it for the first crepe (which usually isn't the best one) and that's enough to get you through a batch. It is also really important to swirl the pan, so you get good coverage, and pour out the excess  batter so that you get the desired thinness of a crepe. You can tell when it is time to flip, similar to pancakes, when the edges are just lightly brown or beginning to cook.  It is easier to show, hence the video, although I haven't quite mastered flipping one-handed.


 Perhaps I will learn to edit the video next time...


A pear that had been hanging around a little too long was calling out to me to be sauteed in butter, so on a recent Saturday morning I made crepes.  Cooking crepes can be done so quickly they should definitely be made more often. As I slid the buttery browned pears, their over-ripeness only adding to the carmelization, into the crepes a second wave of inspiration struck. I am such a lucky girl to have beautiful homemade marmalade waiting in my cupboard. Thanks Rich! Adding a spread of of this amber deliciousness brought just the right balance of tartness to the sweetness of the pear and a little bit of texture. I guess if everyday started this way it wouldn't be appreciated as much, at least that's what I am telling myself. Plus I get to feel good about using up an old pear.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't made crepes in a long time. Looks great Kathryn. It's funny how ingredients will jump out to you.

    ReplyDelete